Recent announcements from UWE management have been based on the sector situation. However, the individual circumstance of UWE is very different.
- Since 2017/18 the number of staff at UWE earning over £100k has increased by 81%
- Since 2018/19 staff pay as a proportion of University income has fallen by 9%
- University of Bristol staff given one-off bonus of £1k in 2020 post Covid, with less financial surplus than UWE
- Just 11 “Key Management Personnel” cost UWE over £1.5M to employ
- UWE student numbers have increased from 31,281 in 18/19 to 38,830 in 21/22
- Covid year fear about student numbers = staff 0% pay increase and UWE surplus increased by £21m in that year alone
With the recent publication of the 2022/2023 accounts, UWE UNISON will be scrutinising the numbers again and provide an updated analysis to come!